Murder ruled out in Rochdale death of roofer, 31, as police release woman on bail
The death of a 31-year-old man found unresponsive at a flat in Rochdale is no longer being treated as murder, Greater Manchester Police said last night, in a development that will bring some measure of clarity to a community left shaken by the tragedy.
Nathan Haigh, a former roofer who had lived on the Great Howarth estate near Wardle for around two decades, was discovered by emergency services just before 7.40pm on Tuesday, August 11. Despite the best efforts of paramedics, he was pronounced dead shortly afterwards.
What did police say about the investigation?
Detectives had initially arrested a 37-year-old woman on suspicion of murder, describing the circumstances as 'suspicious' while pursuing 'several lines of enquiry'. However, in an update issued on Wednesday evening, the force confirmed that 'following extensive enquiries, detectives have ruled out murder as a line of enquiry'.
The woman has been released on bail for assault, though police stress that the investigation into Mr Haigh's sudden death remains active, pending the full results of the post-mortem examination.
What did the detective inspector say?
Detective Inspector Georgina Fearn, of Rochdale CID, said: 'Specialist officers continue to support Nathan's family, and our thoughts remain with them at this difficult time.'
'Nathan was a young man in his prime and his sudden death came as a shock to those who knew him. From the outset, we remained open-minded regarding the cause of death and explored several possible lines of enquiry as part of our investigation.'
'Our enquiries have established that murder is no longer being treated as a line of enquiry. We continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding Nathan's death while awaiting the full results of the post-mortem examination.'
'We understand that incidents of this nature may cause concern within the community; however, we do not believe there is any wider risk to the public.'
Who was Nathan Haigh?
Mr Haigh, who had no children, is understood to have worked as a roofer and had been a familiar face on the estate for some 20 years. Forensic officers were seen examining the ground-floor flat where he is thought to have lived, as news of his passing spread through the close-knit community.
His mother, Keeley Greenwood, spoke of her heartbreak in a Facebook post, where she has established a GoFundMe page to raise funds to give her son 'the send off he deserves'.
She wrote: 'It is with the heaviest of hearts that I share the heartbreaking news that my beautiful son, Nathan Haigh, tragically passed away on 11th August 2026.'
'We are now trying to raise funds to give Nathan the send off he deserves during this incredibly difficult time. Any donation no matter how big or small, would mean so much to our family and would be deeply appreciated.'
'Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your kindness, love and support. Any further details will be updated as soon as we have more information.' She added: 'RIP my son. I will always love you Nathan Haigh.'
A number of other people have posted tributes on social media, reflecting the shock felt by those who knew the young man.
Frequently asked questions about the Rochdale death investigation
Is anyone still facing charges in connection with Nathan Haigh's death?
No murder charge has been brought. The 37-year-old woman arrested on suspicion of murder has been released on bail for assault, and police are awaiting post-mortem results to determine the cause of death.
Is there any ongoing risk to the public in Rochdale?
Police have stated they do not believe there is any wider risk to the public, and that the incident, while concerning, is not being treated as a murder investigation.
How can members of the public help the family?
Mr Haigh's mother has set up a GoFundMe page to cover funeral costs, and donations are being accepted through that platform. Police continue to support the family with specialist officers.